Why Should You Get One?A closet dehumidifier is best used in places with high humidity yet without space and power source for a full-size dehumidifier. Another telltale sign is when personal belongings in the closet like guns, leather goods, watches, and books are constantly damaged by mold and mildew. Lastly, if you notice household items like cabinets, drawers, doors, and walls have cracks or give up mustiness scents, it is time to get one as well.
2021 Best Closet Dehumidifier
|Dehumidifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Capacity||Coverage||Score|
|Eva-dry E-500 Rechargeable Dehumidifier|
|6-8 oz||500 ft3||3|
|Eva-dry E-333 Rechargeable Dehumidifier|
|4-6 oz||333 ft3||3|
|Pro Breeze Renewable PB-04-US Dehumidifier|
|5 oz||333 ft3||3.5|
|Deerma Electric Mini Renewable Dehumidifier|
|5 oz||333 ft3||3.5|
|SnapSafe Rechargeable Gun Safe 75901 Dehumidifier|
|UooEA Wireless Small Dehumidifier|
|5 oz||400 ft3||3|
Let's start with our favorite renewable closet dehumidifier: Eva-dry E-500. As the name implied, It is the more powerful version that covers up to 500 cubic feet of room space. Despite the better output, the rounded-shaped body remains compact and portable for everyday use. you can place it in a sweat-stink gym bag, gun safe, pantry, shoe rack, jewelry box, washroom, and any mobile vehicle. There's also the fan-favorite hook that allows Eva-dry E-500 to be hung in the closet or wardrobe. Perfect to keep your garment clean and dry.
Other prominent features include a leak-proof design that prevents the silica gel from spilling all over the place when it drops. Tried and tested as we have carelessly dropped it on different occasions. Eva-dry industry leading 5-years warranty with 10 years moisture capacity is also one of the best selling points. Simply put, the extra performance found in Eva-dry E-500 mini dehumidifier did not hinder its usability and flexibility.
Into the upgrades, Eva-dry E-500 higher 6-8 ounces moisture absorption is made possible thanks to the toxic-free, eco-friendly silica gel technology. Without the need for batteries or an electrical cord, a single charge will last 20-30 days of dampness reduction before it requires recharging. The granular silicon dioxide made beads will hold water vapor in the air up to 40% of the weight through capillary condensation. You can depend on the front moisture indicator and see if the mini dehumidifier needs to be renewed.
So what's the catch with E-500? Not much other than the little price bump and long 12-14 hours charging time. For a price just shy of 20 dollars, you will get a renewable dehumidifier with a long 5 years warranty and 10 years lifespan. With Eva-dry E-500's good track record in containing mold and rust, your wardrobe will be moisture-free for many years to come.
Bottom line: You can never go wrong with Eva-dry. If you have a big closet, go with E-500. Otherwise, the smaller version would do fine as well.
- Absorb 6-8 oz of moisture/ 500 cubic feet.
- Spill-free, mess-free, toxic-free.
- No batteries and cord needed.
- 30-60 days on normal use.
- 5-year warranty with 10 years usage life.
- Long 10-14 hours recharging time.
Other than E-500, Eva-dry E-333 is by far our best dehumidifier for closets. A slightly cheaper version with the same durable, leak-free, and spill-proof body. The 8.3 inches width, 9 inches height, and 2.9 inches depth are not the smallest but you'll barely notice any differences with others. Since a wireless dehumidifier requires no power source or battery to run, you can literally use Eva-dry E-333 anywhere as you please. For closet use, there is a hook that allows you to hang it with other clothes for quick dry and musty odor removal. Most people would also use E-333 to protect the jewelry box, gym bag, undergarments, cabinet, books, RV, and boat.
Moisture performance wise, Eva-dry E-333 is engineered by the same non-toxic, child-safe crystallized silica gel technology. The silica gel bead millions of interconnected pores absorb and hold excess moisture in the wardrobe of up to 40 percent of its weight. The long 30 days runtime means you can leave the renewable dehumidifier to do its magic and only have to charge it every month or so. The only downside is the renewing time is slow that takes about 10 hours to complete the cycle.
So what will you get for a few bucks less? A weaker 4-6 ounces of moisture absorption for spaces up to 333 cubic feet. For closet or drawer use it is more than sufficient but it may struggle in keeping mold and mildew growth under an extremely damp environment. Other than that, Eva-dry E-333 is the same dependable mini dehumidifier that comes with a long 5-year warranty with 10 years lifespan. Get the bundled deal pack and you will be set for a decade.
Bottom line: The most popular rechargeable dehumidifier in the U.S. and rightly so. If you want a proven, cheap closet dehumidifier that is easy to maintain, you can't get any wrong with this.
- Absorb 4-6 oz of moisture/ 333 cubic feet.
- Cheapest renewable dehumidifier.
- Spill-free, leak proof, non-toxic.
- No batteries and cord needed.
- Up to 20-30 days on normal use.
- 5-year warranty with 10 years usage life.
- Long 10 hours+ recharging time.
- Limited moisture capacity.
Not into Eva-dry and want a good alternative? Try Pro Breeze PB-04-US Renewable dehumidifier. An affordable, easy-to-use, and renewable closet dehumidifier that is built to last. With a compact 7.3 x 6 x 2 inches size, you can bring it along anywhere you go like in the handbag, travel luggage, tent, RV cabin, or boat. Most of us will likely leave it in a drawer, closet, wardrobe, watch box, or under sink all day to protect our precious items from mold and moisture damage. It is designed to work as anonymously as possible.
For safety features, everything a good renewable dehumidifier should have, you'll find it in Pro Breeze PB-04-US. The plastic case is spill-free and leak-proof so don't worry if you accidentally drop it. Even if it does break, the crystallized silica gel is non-toxic and will not cause harm to pets or children. Another advantage of Pro Breeze PB-04-US is the wireless setup which means no electric cord is needed during operation. There are practically zero risks of a person tripping over a wire.
Pro Breeze Renewable PB-04-US moisture output is identical to E-333. It will reduce 5 ounces of dampness and up to 333 cubic feet of room space. Thanks to the desiccant crystallized silica gel technology, moisture is drained and kept between the tiny passages of the porous bead. With a capacity of holding water vapor up to 40% of its weight, you will only have to renew the mini dehumidifier every 20 to 30 days depending on the air condition. Just check the color indicator windows and if the silica gel beads change from orange to green, it is time to give it a recharge.
So what is Pro Breeze PB-04-US limitation? For start, the 5 oz moisture capturing is limited to close-range moisture capturing. It has little impact on reducing the home's relative humidity level. The long 1-10 hours charging time does not help either. Lastly, it only gets a standard 1-year warranty where its biggest rival offered up to 5 years. However, if you bypass all of that, Pro Breeze is a good cordless mini dehumidifier that does exactly what it should do. The low pricing also means you can easily get more than 1 unit and place it anywhere that has high humidity problems.
Bottom line: Our second favorite renewable dehumidifier that is cheap yet comes with all the extra goodness. If you don't need to hook it near some clothes, Pro Breeze is definitely worth the shout.
- Absorb 5 oz of moisture at 333 cubic feet.
- Durable, leak-proof, spill-free case.
- Child and pet friendly.
- Wireless renewable silica gel technology.
- Run 20-30 days with no batteries.
- 8-10 hours recharging time.
- Weaker moisture draining output.
- Short 1-year warranty.
Forget about crystals, closet dehumidifier bags, or rod, Deerma mini dehumidifier is all you need. At a compact cylindrical 3 inches in diameter, 8.1 inches in height, 1.8 pounds weight, it is highly suited for backpack use or gym bag when you're on the go. Adding the tough ABS flame-resistant and spill-proof material, this easy-to-use desiccant dehumidifier will not disappoint you.
Deerma cylinder design can tackle humidity issues in a closet while having the flexibility to run vertically and horizontally with secure horizontal support. The cordless crystallized silica gel technology drains and retains moisture through the 600g porous polymer beads formed in a large surface area. The refillable silica gel is also renewable where a single charge will last you between 2-3 weeks without the need for a power source or batteries. By peeking through the transparent visualization window, you will know it is time for a recharge.
If you have mold problems in the shoe closet, wardrobe, sink, pantry, basement container, drawer, or safebox, Deerma mini dehumidifier is here to help. However, it cannot lower the humidity level in a room due to its restricted output. Charging time is also not the quickest in spite of the 3 PCS Ceramic PTC heating elements with uniform thermal conductivity. The 1-year warranty is also a big bummer when you have Eva-dry that comes with 5 years. Then again, Deerma only costs you less than 20 bucks and will definitely outlast the warranty period.
Bottom line: An affordable, reliable, cylindrical form moisture absorber dehumidifier that will help preserve your clothes from water damage.
- 5 oz moisture absorption/ 333 cubic feet.
- Compact ABS flame-resistant cylinder body.
- Runs vertically and horizontally.
- Chemical-free crystallized silica gel.
- No batteries or electric cord needed.
- Last up to 20-30 days on continuous use.
- Long 12-15 hours recharging time.
- Standard 1-year warranty.
- Weaker moisture capacity.
SnapSafe Rechargeable Dehumidifier Large 75901 is arguable the best walk-in wardrobe dehumidifier by miles. Even though it is slightly expensive, it can swiftly capture moisture up to 500 square feet of space. Almost twice as effective as an Eva-dry E-333. With the ideal humidity level, apparel like shoes, dresses, shirts, pants, jeans, and handbags will be protected from excess moisture. Best of all, the wall, ceiling, cabinet surrounding the closet will be shielded from water stain and mold growth issues.
An astounding achievement despite its portable size, SnapSafe Rechargeable dehumidifier can run up to 60 days continuously. The absorbent crystallized silica gel with interconnected pores creates a large porous area to attract moisture in the air. Each silica bead holds 30 to 40 percent of excess moisture to its weight through the process of capillary condensation. When the humidity indicator shows the bead change from orange to green, just plug it into a 100V electrical outlet and the captured moisture will gradually dry out.
Being a toxic-free crystallized silica gel model, no messy cord or batteries is needed to run SnapSafe rechargeable dehumidifier. There is no need to empty the bucket every day or so like a Peltier model. The lifetime warranty is the perfect icing on the cake. However, there are a few common disadvantages that mostly revolve around the limited moisture capacity that does little in a humid area. The 110V charging time is also long which means your clothes and garment will be left unattended during renewable. The lack of a detachable hook also makes it less appealing especially for closet use.
Bottom line: If you want to break free from the usual rechargeable closet dehumidifier options, SnapSafe will do just that.
- Remove moisture up to 500 cubic feet.
- No batteries and electrical equipment required.
- Toxic-free, leak-free, and spill-free.
- Renewable desiccant silica gel technology.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Very long renewing time.
- No detachable hook.
This is the latest and upgraded version of the UooEA Wireless Small Dehumidifier. A cylindrical shape wireless dehumidifier at a compact 8.5 x 8.1 x 4.7 inches in dimension and 3.1 pounds weight. With its leak-free and spill-proof case, it will be rugged enough for everyday use. In this scenario, a closet, cabinet, or drawer would be the perfect fit as it can run without the reliance on a cord or batteries. Just charge it until the beads display in the transparent visualization window turned orange.
Continue with the charging, UooEA Wireless Dehumidifier comes with a separate heating base so it will not eat up your closet space. Through the 125V stable thermal cycling with auto-shutoff function, you can swiftly renew the dehumidifier in just 2 hours time VS a convenient cordless dehumidifier that takes 5 times the duration. A convenient and underappreciated feature.
Inside UooEA Wireless mini dehumidifier is the children and pet friendly 350g crystallized silica gel. Made synthetically from sodium silicate, each bead will absorb and hold 2 to 3 weeks of moisture in the air before it requires a quick recharge. With the 360° omnidirectional air inlet, UooEA can effortlessly remove 5-6 ounces of water vapor and up to 400 cubic feet of space. Ideal to keep your apparel dry and odor-free.
Unlike most renewable dehumidifiers that suffer from long charging time, UooEA wireless small dehumidifier only has minor 3 setbacks. First is the 1-year warranty that is pale in comparison to Eva-dry. Second, it also costs twice as much although you can purchase without the separate heating base. Third, the lack of the option to hang on to a closet rod might be something worth exploring as well.
- Covers up to 350 cubic feet.
- 360° omnidirectional air inlet cylinder body.
- Cordless, toxic-free, spill-free, mess-free.
- Short 2 hours charge time.
- 2-3 weeks of moisture removal.
- Only 1-year warranty.
- No built-in hook.
How Does a Wardrobe/ Closet Dehumidifier Work?
Most closet dehumidifiers will use adsorbent materials like silica gel or charcoal to extract moisture in the air. They are ready to use straight out of the box and can last a long period of time. Silica gel is the most popular option is because of the convenience, compactness, and reusable factors. A renewable closet dehumidifier does not require a power outlet to drain the moisture in the air. You will only need to charge the dehumidifier to release the absorbed moisture out through heat. If the humidity problem is beyond what a silica gel can take in, consider getting an electrical dehumidifier for better moisture removal.
Do I Need a Dehumidifier In My Closet?
According to CDC, you will need a mini dehumidifier if the closet feels damp or there are mold patches spotted. A dehumidifier can maintain the dampness level in the closet under 50% to discourage the growth of mold. A hygrometer would come in handy to check the relative humidity level in the closet or look out for the following signs:
- There is a scent of mustiness rushing out when you open the closets.
- There are crackes and water stains in the closet.
- Closet is located in high humidity places and poor ventilation like the basement, bathroom, laundry room, or garage.
- Items in the closet are already damaged by moisture, mold, or mildew. For example leathery goods, clothes, musical instruments, documents, sentimental/ vintage items, watches, or garage tools.
- Foods are stored in the kitchen closet.
- The closet has moisture and mold problems in the past.
Should I Go With A Large Dehumidifier Instead?
A large dehumidifier is downright more effective than a mini dehumidifier as it can absorb more moisture per day. It can also manage the humidity level in the entire room rather than just restricted to the closet. But the issue is it cannot offer the same versatility as a renewable dehumidifier. First, you will need to find an electrical outlet to power the large dehumidifier. Second, it is also bulky that will not fit inside a closet or drawer. Third, a large dehumidifier is very noisy and you will need to empty the collected water in the bucket regularly. Lastly, expect to pay 10-20 times more than a mini dehumidifier.
Where To Place a Dehumidifier In The Closet
The ideal position for the dehumidifier would be as centrally as possible to the source of the dampness. That way, the entire wardrobe will get an equal amount of moisture removal from the tiny device. If your moisture problem is in the drawers or bags, place the dehumidifier inside and keep it closed. For walk in wardrobe, place the dehumidifier at the center of the room.
Different Types of Dehumidifiers for Closet
Not every type of dehumidifier is suitable for closet or wardrobe use. Some are too costly, bulky, noisy, and plain inconvenient. Let's look at the few types of dehumidifiers in the market that can reduce excess humidity and prevent mold/ mildew growth.
- Rechargeable/ renewable dehumidifiers - Also known as a wireless, cordless, mini dehumidifier. It is compact, lightweight, eco-friendly where you can recharge and reuse the dehumidifier for many years. Powered by silica gel that will slowly but steadily absorb moisture for up to 30 days. Since it is a non-electrical dehumidifier, no battery or power outlet is needed. The best choice for the closet due to its quietness and versatility.
- Battery-powered dehumidifiers - Similar to renewable in terms of size and functionality. A battery-operated dehumidifier is also suitable for closet, car, or bathroom use as it can last up to a high 60 days. The downside is you have to constantly remove and change the batteries, unlike a renewable dehumidifier that can be recharged when needed.
- Heated Rod - Another dehumidifying option that is placed underneath the closet, wardrobe, or locker. The heating rod electric dehumidifier works by heating the air to 150 degrees Fahrenheit. When the air is warm, there is better airflow circulation in the closet thus less moisture will linger around.
- Electric refrigeration dehumidifiers - The most common type of electric dehumidifier in the market. A refrigeration dehumidifier works by drawing damp air into the coil to perform condensation. The water vapor in the air will be extracted out and either drip down to the reservoir or straight to the pump. The dry air will then disperse out as mist. If you want to effectively reduce the humidity level in the room rather than just the closet, this is the one. Be prepared to pay for a hefty price especially on a 70-pint model.
- Thermoelectric - Commonly found in small dehumidifiers that offer efficient and silent operation. A Thermoelectric dehumidifier uses Peltier technology to pull moisture out of the air. The water vapor will be collected in the bucket and a person will have to empty it every 1-3 days. Because of that, thermoelectric is not the best solution for cabinet or wardrobe as you have to constantly manage the water level.
How Do I Lower The Humidity In My Closet?
Place a renewable dehumidifier with silica gel is the best way to reduce humidity levels in the closet. It will quickly extract moisture in the closet through adsorption. Avoid getting those one-time use desiccant bag that contains charcoal, baking soda, chalk or calcium chloride salt. It is not eco-friendly as you will have to dispose of it after use. Do not store items on the lowest closet floor to prevent moisture trapping underneath. Lastly, you can leave the closet door open to help improve air circulation.
How To Remove Mold From The Closet
A dark and damp closet can be the perfect breeding ground for mold. When your closet drywall and garment are already infested with mold, a desiccant dehumidifier won't do the trick in removing existing fungus. Instead, here are the things you could do to save your garment and wardrobe from mold attack.
- Inspect all closet items carefully. Clothes, shoes, and items that are mold-infested should be discarded.
- Use mold control spray or mold removal products to disinfect existing mold in clothes or closet. The applied surface will act as an antimicrobial that prevents mold and mildew re-infestation.
- Detergents like Chlorine, ammonia, talcum powder, or borax kill off any surface mold. Just mix it with water and start scrubbing the mold-infested area.
- Hydrogen Peroxide is also a good alternative to get rid of mold and musty smell in the closet. Applied a few drops to the affected area and start scrubbing in a circular motion.
- Toxic-free items like vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice can also eliminate mold and is available in every household. Leave it for a couple of hours and wash it out with water.
- The mixture of tea tree oil, cinnamon, thyme, or clove essential oil will also remove closet mold.
- Allow the closet to dry completely. You can use a mini dehumidifier to reduce the humidity level in the closet.
- Clean the affected area thoroughly until there are no signs of mold and mildew left in the closet. Remember to wear rubber gloves and a face mask to avoid direct contact with the fungus.
Is Mold in Closet Dangerous And Make You Sick?
Mold inside a closet can be dangerous and a health hazard when exposed. Mold can make you sick with symptoms such as headache, sore throat, red eyes, runny nose, and itchiness. It will also aggravate respiratory problems such as COPD and asthma. People with hypersensitivity, compromised immune systems, children, and elderly are more susceptible to mold health issues.
Not all types of molds are dangerous and toxic to humans. Black mold is the most notorious type that produces mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are toxic compounds that can lead to many side effects when inhaled. As it is very hard to tell the types of mold in the closet, it is wise to treat the mold straight away to prevent further growth and damage.
Why Do My Shoes Get Moldy In My Closet?
Mold can easily grow on your shoes in the closet due to excess moisture and poor ventilation. To make matter worse, a lot of people will leave damp shoes in the closet which is favorable to mold growth. If you scent a musty smell with slimy patches on your shoes, you will need to treat the mold straight away. Spray mold removal protection or apply baking soda to scrub off existing mold and mildew. make sure your shoe is completely dry and free of mold before storing them. For leather shoes, you can apply a thin layer of wax that will act as antimicrobial protection.
Why Is There Moisture In My Closet?
Condensation is the reason why moisture can be found inside the closet. Condensation occurred because cold air from the outside causes warm air from the inside to lose heat. The temperature differences and cooling effect will form water droplets.
To keep moisture out of the closet, here's what you need to do.
- Add insulation to walls, ceiling, or basement to stabilize temperatures and reduce condensation.
- A desiccant dehumidifier will absorb excessive moisture in the closet or wardrobe.
- Ensure clothes, footwear, linens, towel, or other storage items are washed, dried, and mold-free before storing them in the closet.
- Never store worn or dirty clothes in the closet. Soil and dirt could be filled with biological contaminants like mold and will spread to your other clean clothes.
- Avoid hanging clothes too tightly in a closet. Leave some space for better airflow circulation.
- Keep the closet door closed in a high humidity environment like a bathroom or basement.
- Install exhaust fan, closet vent, or cabinet ventilation to improve air circulation.
- Avoid drying clothes indoors and close to the closet.
Why Do My Clothes Smell Musty In My Closet?
Humid air trapped inside the closet will foster mold/ mildew growth and cause clothes to smell musty. Dirty clothes, wet towels, pest droppings, sweaty shoes, and dust stuck inside the closet will also contribute to the nauseating odor. You will be greeted by the smell of mustiness every time you open the closet. To reduce the moldy odor find the sources and remove them from the closet.
To get the musty smell out of the closet, place an open container with silica gel, chalk, charcoal, baking soda to soak up the lingering odor. Coffee ground, dried lavender, and potpourri are less effective but doable as well. For clothes that smell bad, re-wash them again but this time, add a tablespoon of white distilled vinegar and mix it with the detergent. Last but not least, use a renewable desiccant dehumidifier to absorb excess moisture in the closet.