How Many Square Feet Does a 70 pint Dehumidifier Cover?
A 70-pint dehumidifier can remove moisture from large spaces up to 4,500 square feet such as basements, attics, bedroom, and offices. If is a very damp environment at 50-60% humidity, the dehumidifier can cover up to 2,500 square feet. If is a wet room at 70-85% humidity, the recommended room size coverage would be between 2,000-2,500 square feet. Finally, for extremely wet room at 85-100% humidity, the room size coverage will be between 1,500-2,500 square feet.
Why Should You Get One?Get a 70-pint dehumidifier if you have a large room size between 1500-2500 square feet. Perfect for living hall, studio, meeting hall, garage, basement, or apartment. Works well if you have an extremely wet dampness environment. Otherwise, a 50-pint or 30-pint dehumidifier might be more suitable for your needs.
2021 Best Dehumidifier 70 Pint
|No||Image||Dehumidifier||Online Price (Amazon)||Capacity||Coverage||Score|
|1||Tosot 70 Pint Dehumidifier|
|70 pints (45 pints DOE 2019)||4500 sq. ft. (418 m2)||4.5|
|2||Friedrich D70BP 70-pint Dehumidifier|
|45 Pint (70 Pint 2012 DOE)||4.5|
|3||Danby 70-Pint Dehumidifier|
|45 Pint (70 Pint 2012 DOE)||4500 sq. ft. (418 m2)||4.5|
|4||Keystone KSTAD70C 70-pint Dehumidifier|
|45 Pint (70 Pint 2012 DOE)||4500 sq. ft. (418 m2)||4|
|5||Ivation IVALDH70PW 70 Pint Dehumidifier|
|45 Pint (70 Pint 2012 DOE)||4500 sq. ft. (418 m2)||4.5|
|6||LG UD701KOG3 PuriCare 70-Pint Dehumidifier|
|45 Pint (70 Pint 2012 DOE)||2000 sq. ft. (186 m2)||4.5|
Let's begin with an energy star rated dehumidifier on the list. Tosot 70-Pint GDN70BA-A3EBA2D is a highly regarded model for large room size dehumidification. We have it in our large basement for many months and Tosot 70-Pint still works like a charm. Not once the dehumidifier has stopped to work even if we left it to uncheck for days via a continuous pump. Features wise, all the gears are here including auto-restart, anti-frost, humidistats with the display. The removable filter is also pleasant to take out and clean.
The downside to Tosot 70 Pint dehumidifier is the bulkiness. It may not be suitable for a studio or bedroom filled with stuffs. Noise level is also loud given its strong dehumidification. The price range is also on a higher side by not by a far margin. Overall the complaints are minor that shouldn't deter you from picking it.
- Capable of continuous operation with the built-in pump or drainage hose.
- 70-pint unit that can support up to 4500 square feet of room size.
- Well packaged with all the safety features plus a large reservoir.
- Bulky even though most dehumidifiers in this range are.
- Clear noise level upon higher speed selected.
Let's start by clearing things up with Friedrich D70BP reliability issue. We have been using Friedrich D70BP for close to a year and we have not encountered any issue with it. It is genuinely a capable 70-pint dehumidifier that can stop mold and mildew from further breeding in your room. It is also sensitive to nearby dampness where the dehumidifier would stop working once the desired humidity is reached. Almost a perfect model if you ignore the non-existing water level indicator.
Friedrich D70BP is also a very supportive dehumidifier. It can operate through continuous drainage, garden hose or the classic 16 pints reservoir. You could safely leave the dehumidifier unchecked knowing that anti-frost, auto-restart are all standing by. Just set a shutdown hour through the timer and off you go with your daily task.
- Tested and proven 70 pint capacity performance.
- Informative display screen that shows room temperature or humidity.
- 3 Drainage options (water bucket, built-in drain pump or gravity drainage.
- No front water level indicator on the bucket.
Danby DDR070BDWDB is a modern, 70 pint dehumidifier with drain hose support, built-in pump, and a front water tank. Even though this is the shortest period of time we spent with it, everything went well during the test. Humidity level drops rapidly according to our pre-set, there are no hiccups even on freezing temperature. Danby also has the reputation of offering a slightly lower price point yet with the same build quality. A win-win situation for interested buyer.
Danby DDR070BDWDB can be a "heaty" model during an extended period of time. That means the dispersed dry air will affect the room temperature one way or another. Another minor complains is the connector that allows attachment to the garden hose is on the small side. You may have to forcefully push it in to secure the connection.
- Wide coverage that supports damp to extremely wet room.
- Works flawlessly in low temperature operation e.g. winter.
- Smart dehumidifying that adjust the humidity level to tally with the room temperature.
- Supports direct-drain system or conventional water clearing ways.
- Will generate a bit heat to room temperature as the unit can be hot after prolong operation.
- Gravity drainage connector is not the easiest to grip on to a hose.
At the point of this writing, Keystone KSTAD70C is the latest variants that shine in almost all department. It is well-priced, well-equipped with timer, filter, multiple drainage options all come standard. Performance-wise, it performs exactly like how a 70-pint dehumidifier would. Smooth, swift, and consistent even at super-low temperature. Like others, auto-restart, auto-defrost, continuous mode, dual speed can be set via the control panel with ease.
Let's end with what we don't like about Keystone KSTAD70C dehumidifier. The hard to remove bucket for a start, the less intuitive pump connectors for the garden hose, and the lack of online information on this product. Minor complaints that in no way will affect the dehumidification performance. Easily ignored with one eye closed.
- Affordable 70-pint dehumidifier model.
- Drains moisture in its surrounding up to 4500 square feet (moderate dampness).
- Winter-friendly model with low temperature operation and auto-defrost mode.
- Hard to insert bucket even though the bucket is empty.
- Again hard to insert drainage hose without applying some pressure.
70-pint Dehumidifier With a Built-in Pump, Is It Necessary?
Yes, it is recommended to have a built-in pump in the dehumidifier but not necessary in our book. This is because you can buy a condensate pump and hose separately and still be cheaper than a dehumidifier with pump. In case if the dehumidifier breaks down, you still have the option to remove the pump and hose and place it on the non-built-in pump unit. Vice versa, If the external pumps fail instead, you could easily take it out and replace it with a newer one. Remember, the dehumidifier performance will remain the same with or without the built-in pump. If you still unsure which method to approach, start with the classic bucket emptying or rely on the gravity drainage. Just get a standard garden hose and connect it to the dehumidifier drain connector. The collected water will be drained automatically if is below or just a few feet away from the dehumidifier via gravity.
50 vs 70 pint Dehumidifier - Which One is Better?
On normal circumstances, a 70-pint dehumidifier would be a better choice if you have a large room size with a relatively high humidity level. If can reduce the room dampness much faster with fewer hours running time. The trade-off is the much higher energy usage especially if you are planning to run the dehumidifier continuously. The higher the power consumption, the more costlier it will be in the long-run. Noise level is also on the higher side but the differences are neglectable.
The Best 70 pint Dehumidifier to Buy Guidelines
All the 70 pint dehumidifiers listed here are victorious over the hundreds of models we tested throughout the year. As the list continues to expand with new models released every month or so, here are the criteria we looked at to measure the quality of a dehumidifier.
- Price – 70-pint dehumidifiers are usually more expensive and priced between 250-350 dollars. The price will increase according to the features, brand, seasonal, and availability. Choose the price range you are comfortable with.
- Design and build quality - Most 70-pint dehumidifier can withstand continuous operation without fail. If you do not plan to operate 24x7, the wear and tear parts could last even further for extensive use. The only trade-off is portability as the powerful absorption means the dehumidifier is anything but that. The overall dimension is definitely going to be bulky and heavy with a large bucket.
- Drainage choices – Ideally, the 70-pint dehumidifier should have both the built-in pump, gravity drainage plus the default large bucket. Most people will resort to the manual way of clearing out the bucket but we recommend opting for the latter two. That way, condensate collect can be clear out automatically without the need to check on the dehumidifier every day. If the dehumidifier does not come with a built-in pump, you could always install an external one and it will work just fine.
- Energy usage - Energy Star rated or not, 70-pint dehumidifiers will consume more energy than 50 or 30-pint models. However, it can be more energy efficient because more moisture will be captured at a single go. If you plan to operate at limited hours, it makes more sense with 70-pint models rather than smaller capacity ones.
- Noise level - Depending on where you plan to utilize the dehumidifier, the noise level could play a big role in the usability of the dehumidifier. If you plan to operate near a bedroom or living hall, it makes more sense to choose a bigger capacity unit but running in the lowest settings. That way moisture will still be drained effectively but with less intrusive noise.
- Timer and washable filter - 2 basic features that must not be overlooked. The timer works as a countdown clock that will shut off the dehumidifier from an operation once the time is up. The permanent filter will trap allergens and dust particles from being re-released into the air.
- Auto-restart and auto shut-off – Safety features that are available in all 70-pint dehumidifiers. This can prevent the dehumidifier from overflow with water or over dehumidifying. You will have to reconsider the Genuity of the model if these 2 features are excluded.
- Anti-frost and low-temperature operation – Important if you stayed in a chilly, cold environment. Most 70-pint dehumidifier can operate on temperatures as low as 33°F with the support of anti-icing. It prevents the compressor from freezing up and stop operating.